MedsASSIST - Informing Medicine Decisions
MedsASSIST is the new real-time recording and monitoring system for medicines containing codeine. It was developed in response to concerns over patient safety relating to these medicines and as an effective alternative to requiring patients to have to go to the doctor to get a prescription for these products.
MedsASSIST is a clinical decision support tool, with a focus on patient care and patient pain management support pathways designed to help pharmacists identify patients who are at risk of codeine dependence. It facilitates access to suitable referral pathways to support patients to better manage their pain and enhance health outcomes.
MedsASSIST will be in use in community pharmacies across Australia from March 2016.
How MedsASSIST works
The pharmacist will assess the therapeutic need of a codeine medicine for the individual patient in accordance with the current practice for the supply of Pharmacist Only Medicines.
- The pharmacist will assess the therapeutic need of a codeine medicine for the individual patient in accordance with the current practice for the supply of Pharmacist Only Medicines.
- The pharmacist will then ask for a photographic ID and seek consent to record the ID number in the system which is protected, controlled and operated by the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. It is only the unique number on the photographic ID that is recorded in the system. The system does not record other details such as name, date of birth and address.
- If the patient does not consent to providing a photographic ID card number for recording and monitoring in the system, the pharmacist may choose not to supply the medicine because they cannot be sure it is safe to do so. In such circumstances, the pharmacist may elect to offer alternative medicines or recommend other treatment options including referral.
- The pharmacist also records the name and the quantity of the requested codeine medicine and reviews any previous purchases of codeine medicine.
- If a supply is made based on therapeutic needs, the reason for use and recommended duration of use will be recorded in the system.
- If the pharmacist decides it is not therapeutically appropriate to supply a codeine medicine, they will explain the reason for this decision and may provide further clinical information or recommendations to support your health. This will also be recorded in the system.
Download the Guild's MedsASSIST privacy statement (47KB PDF).
For all MedsASSIST technical enquiries or to ask about your account, pharmacies please call GuildLink support on 1300 137 608 (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm AEST) or email email@example.com
Download the following documents for use in your pharmacy:
For further information
The Pharmacy Guild of Australia National Secretariat
Level 2, 15 National Circuit, Barton, ACT 2600 Australia
PO Box 310, Fyshwick, ACT 2609 Australia
Telephone: + 61 2 6270 1888 · Facsimile: + 61 2 6270 1800
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Internet: www.guild.org.au