The WA Department of Health is extending the trial involving distribution of NIP influenza vaccine for persons aged 65 years and older to community pharmacies in 2020.
The National Immunisation Program (NIP) is an established collaborative program involving the Australian Government along with State and Territory governments. Each year, NIP influenza vaccines are administered according to updated advice provided by the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI)
Pharmacies wishing to participate in the 2020 trial were required to register. This applied to all participants, including community pharmacies that participated in 2018 and/or 2019.
Registration to be part of the trial in 2020 was opened on Friday 6th March and closed on Friday 27th March 2020 as per email communication from the WA Health Department.
Pharmacies participating in the program must agree to all the WA Health terms and conditions below:
- The Pharmacy will work within the scope of the Structure Administration Supply Arrangements (SASA) - Administration of Influenza Vaccines by Pharmacists
- The Pharmacy complies with the recommended vaccine cold chain storage of between +2° and +8° as stated in the National Vaccine Storage Guidelines, Strive for 5.
- In the event of a cold chain breach pharmacy will follow the WA cold chain breach protocol, and call my Public Health Unit Regional Immunisation Coordinator for further advice. Pharmacy will not discard any vaccines until advised to do so.
- All discarded NIP stock will be reported to the Department of Health using the form on the website (to be updated in due course).
- Pharmacy will ensure that all vaccinations are reported to the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).
- The Pharmacy will adhere to the Australian Immunisation Handbook and ATAGI advice.
- Adults aged ≥ 65 years are recommended the adjuvanted QIV, Fluad®Quad, over standard QIVs.
- The WA Immunisation schedule has been updated with the 2020 influenza vaccine information.
- It is recommended that people aged ≥ 65 years receive an influenza vaccine as soon as possible in 2020
Transfer of Government-funded NIP Fluad®Quad influenza vaccines
We advise members that ANY STOCK TRANSFER of the Government-funded NIP Fluad®Quad influenza vaccines must be reported to the WA Health Department.
This includes pharmacy-to-pharmacy, pharmacy-to-GP and any other stock movement scenario.
Email stock movement details to DoH.PIVT@health.wa.gov.au.